As of August 25, 2017, PennDOT will be offering Ignition Interlock Limited Licenses (which essentially replace the Occupational Limited Licenses which will no longer exist).
I will summarize the Ignition Interlock Limited License below:
Ignition Interlock Limited License (IILL)
- First Offense DUI
- The motorist is immediately eligible for the IILL. Apply by filing a Petition with PennDOT. PennDOT must approve within 20 days.
- License cannot be suspended for any other reason.
- IILL not available for Commercial Vehicles (CDLs).
- IILL not available for suspensions resulting from Homicide by Vehicle convictions.
- IILL only required for any vehicle driven by motorists (not all vehicles owned by motorist).
- Motorist may drive employers owned vehicle without an ignition interlock if within scope of employment (this requires employer’s notarized signature on PennDOT form authorizing employee to drive and stating employer is aware of the employee’s restricted license.
- People with ARD license suspensions WILL be eligible for the IILL.
B. Subsequent DUI Offense
- Ungraded Misdemeanor cases: IILL available after 6 months of 12 month suspensions.
- Misdemeanor 1 cases: IILL available after 9 months of 18 month suspensions.
C. Refusal Cases
- IILL available after 6 months of a 12 month suspension.
- IILL available after 9 months of an 18 month suspension.
D. Who Is Not Eligible for the IILL?
A person is ineligible for an Ignition Interlock Limited License if he/she:
- Was not previously licensed to drive in PA or any other state.
- Is still required to take a driver’s examination.
- Has driving privileges already cancelled, revoked or recalled.
- Has an unsatisfied judgment as a result of a motor vehicle accident.
- Intends to use IILL for operating a commercial vehicle.
- Has a license suspension because of a Homicide by Vehicle Conviction.